Background

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Homemade (ish) Drawer Fresheners

I wasn't really sure what to call these things.  They aren't really DIY because you don't really have to "do" anything, but they aren't really homemade either, because you don't have make anything, so I settled on "Homemade (ish)"  :-)

I wish I could link up to where I found this idea because it's a great one, but it was about 6 years ago in a magazine and my magazine keeping limit is 5 years.  You think I'm kidding, ha.  Well ok it used to be 5 years, but now that I have a lot more stuff in my house I just don't seem to have the space to keep a magazine for one small idea.  PLUS the world now has Pinterest and I can usually find an idea online that is equivalent to the one from the magazine and store it on Pinterest.  If Pinterest ever dies I will be missing loads of great ideas, not to mention my validation of self worth, aka my Conquered Pins! board ;-)

Alright, back to my drawer fresheners!  Ok guys, this one is so easy you're probably going to want to smack your forehead and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"!  No?  That was just me?  Alright, if you say so...

To make these drawer fresheners you only need one thing and I can almost guarantee that you already have it in your house (unless you really need to go to the store and/or you haven't bathed in a while) and that one thing is: a soap box!  I don't mean that kind that you stand on and get all huffy about a cause you believe in.  I mean an honest to goodness box that came with a bar of soap:


Around these parts we use Irish Spring. Well Will does, I'm more of a body wash type of girl, but more about that later.  When I buy soap I typically buy several packages because I like to stock up when it's on sale.  I remove all the bars of soap and undo each end of the box and flatten it.  Then I stick the flattened boxes in various clothing drawers.  I don't know about you but I love the smell of certain kinds of soap and putting these in the drawers so that my guys clothes carry just a hint of the soap makes me happy!  Since I typically use body spray I don't do this in my drawers, but it would be just as easy to get a "girly" smelling soap box and do the same for your little ladies (or yourself)!

I know what you're thinking, you're wondering, "What in the world does she do with all the soap once she takes it out of the boxes"?  Well I picked up a nice Anchor Hocking jar and did this:


It adds a little pop of color in our bathroom and makes it smell nice too!  The repressed OCD person inside me wishes the soaps were of a similar neutral color theme as the bathroom, but I just keep her quiet with chocolate :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!

    I love the soap in the jar too. My mom does that too - I don't really have the room in my bathroom to do that (well, there is the counter, but that frequently gets flooded with water by someone playing in the sink, so I keep my counter clear).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm sure that will be us in a few years :-) Before I got the jar I kept them in a smaller plastic container that will now forever smell like soap I do believe :-)

    ReplyDelete